Thursday 1st March

Hello all , too another dose of Thursday night fun. After last weeks rather lame effort on the singing front I was determined to make this week a much better effort all round. I have been off work this week for a bit of well earned R&R so I knew that I could get in some practice before going down to the Hotel to sing. I also knew this would mean a full night on the juice with Shaun and the gang. So the last thing I expected to do this week was four new songs. I didn't realise this until I had given Andy my slip so I had to make sure I didn't drop the ball as it were and put in a reasonable effort.
I think to be honest, I felt these songs tonight would be ok to try even without a lot of practice as they are all tracks I listen too a lot so I was sure of where too come in etc. Tonight's medley of top track's was as follows 1. Jealous Again by The Black Crowes (SC859803) 2. Me Plus One by Kasabian (SF25212) 3. Gypsy Road by Cinderella (PSJT07002) and 4. Open Your Eyes by Snow Patrol (SF25213)

Jealous Again by The Black Crowes

An old favorite of mine by a very underrated band. This was one of the stand out tracks from their first and probably best album Shake Your Money Maker. If you have not heard it yet give it a try it's a great first album. Its got great guitar riffs in it and has a great chorus. Easy to sing but not known by a lot of people.

Me Plus One by Kasabian

Another new track by a new band Kasabian. Only short (under 3 mins) but very catchy although again I felt not many people have heard this one (apart from Shaun). Its a great song to sing as you can either sing it high pitched as Serge in the band sings it, or as I sang it in a mid-range vocal. Not sure I could get away with it high pitched as it does sound mid-range on the original to my ear. Got a great banging drum beat and although lyrics at the end don't seem to make sense they are on the original. Anyway I've found a great acoustic version for you to judge for yourself. Enjoy!!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPVOpGeL-Dc

Gypsy Road by Cinderella

This is a track I have recently un-earthed on karaoke and in my eyes its a great 80's rock track. A little known band in the U.K. Cinderella were an influence on a friend of mine Steve Johnson former lead guitarist and frontman to Guns & Oatcakes. Unfortunately the band has split now but this was one of Steve's fave's to play. He put his own style to it and it always came across as a great live track so in a way it was a bit of a tribute to the band. The song is pretty easy to sing and at the end has a great break down moment to allow for crowd participation (Hint to the Hotel regulars)

Open Your Eyes by Snow Patrol

Final song of the night and changed from one I was going to do as the few people in tonight seemed to know the new stuff that was being sung (check Shauns blog for full listing). It is one of my favourite tracks by Snow Patrol and is the kind of song that leaves you waiting for the riff's to kick in. It does tend to repeat itself a lot, which makes it easy to learn, but even so it seemed to go down well. I will definitely have another try at it in the future as it is a great song and I love to sing stuff that is popular at the moment.

Well there you go another set of fine song's that I really enjoyed singing tonight. They all seemed to go down well and in the great scheme of things they are all songs I will do again at some point in the future. It has been a quiet few weeks at the hotel and I'm sure when the weather picks up things will get busier. Its great to be able to sing new stuff but I would prefer to have a bigger audience. As you will of noticed I now have music on board the blog. Hope that I can educate you all to some great track's in the future. Now to end with another Homer quote and one I feel after a week of drinking one that is quite appropriate.
"To Alcohol. The cause of ,and solution too all of life's problems"Homer J Simpson

3 comments:

Shaun said...

love the acoustic version of Me Plus One. Will be having a go at that on the old acoustic ;)

I can't get your music player to work though. All I see is a 'powered by iWebMusic' logo?

Shaun said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shaun said...

Nevermind about the music, loaded it up in Internet Explorer and it plays fine (Kasabian - Empire).

Doesn't work in my usual browser though :( (Firefox)