Thursday 12th April

It appears that 12th April is officially the most boring day ever! After having a pretty hectic week at work I think that Thursday was the only thing to keep me going, apart from looking forward to going to the Grand National on Saturday, but this week nothing at the pub seemed to be right. After last weeks frenzied approach at the evening, this week went back to the quiet night in and with not many people, and I still only managed to get to sing three this week.
Still not to worry as life is too short to worry about things like not singing enough songs and having to drink too much beer. So as there is not much to talk about this week I will give you a run down on how the busy gig season is going as it is drawing upon us fast. As you will of read a few weeks ago, my summer schedule is now crammed with gigs and I have to admit it will be a great summer if they are all as good as I am hoping they will be, so here goes for the latest info.

  • Aerosmith 24th June Hyde Park: Tickets brought a long time ago now and the line up for the gig is beginning to take place with several new bands being added to the list. Along with Chris Cornell, Jet and The Answer we now have Joe Satriani, McQueen, Rueben, Your Codename Is:Milo,Kids In Glass Houses,Brigade-Haunts and Enjoy Destroy to look forward to.
  • Rolling Stones 21st August London:After giving up on ever being able to get a hotel near Slane Castle for the Ireland leg of the tour, we miraculously got wind of O2 having pre-order tickets available for the Millenium Dome gig in London. Without a doubt this arena show by the Stones will be the highlight of the year.
  • Magnum 24th May Wulfrun Hall: Still not got tickets but I'm sure it won't be hard to pick them up soon (hint hint wifey!!!)
  • Download Festival 9th August Donnington: Still no day tickets on sale yet, but having heard the new stuff by Linkin Park I want to see them on the Saturday gig now more and more so will keep a close eye on ticket availability.
  • Journey South 6th May Chicago Rock Hanley: No need for tickets for this one although if the wife gets word they are on sale she will buy them. The X-Factor duo are on in Hanley for what I am sure will be two songs and a beer but will go along none the less.
  • Status Quo Trentham Gardens: Still no news on tickets
  • Jools Holland Trentham Gardens: Still no news on this one either
  • Bon Jovi: New album out in the near future so expecting tour news soon.

So that's it for a the gigs line up for the summer, and with a bit of luck the gig reviews should be a good read. On to the very short set list for tonight then. 1. Vertigo by U2 (EZH039-08) 2. 20th Century Boy by T-Rex (SF02401) and 3. Lay Down Sally by Eric Clapton (SC888206)

Vertigo by U2

This is probably one of my favorite tracks by U2 and it probably the best rock track they have done. There have been many bands that have tried to do what U2 have done, which is to bring great music to the world but constantly change their style, without losing quality. This is a great song to sing, plenty of great rock riffs and a fast paced lyric that is easy to get to grips with. Click the link to see a great live version of the track from Milan. do again rating 10/10

20th Century Boy by T-Rex

This is a great track and a seventies glam rock special. Again another radio inspired choice for me to sing this week as I heard it and wanted to have a crack as after Life On Mars I have a bit of a seventies vibe going on at the moment. Its got probably one of the best guitar riffs of the seventies on it, and not many people haven't heard this one before. I've seen many bands do covers of this one and one of the best is included on the link as Def Leppard did a cover on their last album which proves its a great rock track. Easy to sing and a pleasure to have a go at. do again rating 7/10

Lay Down Sally by Eric Clapton

Bit of a different vibe for my last song, and definitely not as well know as my other songs tonight, despite being one of Eric Claptons biggest hits! It to me has a bit of a country feel to it and even though I hate country music, this is a great track. Now for all you budding singers out there I have included a karaoke link so you can have a go yourself, but it is probably the worst version ever! Loved singing it as Eric is a true music hero and never gets sang enough on karaoke. do again rating 4/10

So there you go then yet another week of new songs for the year. Next week I am looking to try and rock it up a bit on Thursday so if anyone has any requests get them in before I decide to have a go at my Metallica back catalogue! Now last week I got a bit of stick for exchanging my Homer quote with a Gene Hunt quote but fear not Homer is back and back to stay! Until next time everyone byee!!

"Professor : And there will be a study session after class.

Homer : Do we have to go?

Professor : No.

Homer : Then kiss my curvy butt GOOOOD-BYE!"

No comments: