Thursday 5th April

Well another Thursday rolls upon us with a bang and as the first Bank Holiday weekend of the year , its an opportunity to get blind drunk on a Thursday and not have to worry about the consequences of over indulging in alcohol. That is unless you have to work on Friday and Saturday like I had to do! Not to worry though, at least I would get to do my usual 4 or 5 songs to at least keep myself entertained, that is unless everybody turns up on the night and the majority of them sing like this week!
To be fair it was quite obvious from when we arrived at the pub that this was going to be a busy night, and it was great to see the pub heaving with people as oppose to the empty seats. There was a birthday party group in who got louder as the night went on, and who sang probably the worst rendition of the Arctic Monkeys you would of ever heard.
Shaun was out with the guys and gals from his work so I had the important duty of noting down all the songs people sang for the karaoke stats page until he arrived. Now I could of used this opportunity to have doctored the stats to put the Stones at the top of the most sang artists league, but as I figured he would twig that I decided to go with the genuine list instead, and I never got to sing any Stones tonight anyway!
Shaun's crowd turned up halfway through the night and still managed to entertain us with a few songs, and as Shaun likes to embarrass his work mates with postings of them singing on You Tube, Captain Jack managed to sneak into the video with a cameo appearance to make my You Tube debut! Oh the fame how will I cope!!!!!
Apart from that not really a bad night. Lots of people means of course a better atmosphere, and that leads to more drink, which in turn led to a huge hangover at work for most of Friday! But at least I only had to cope until lunch.
Anyway on to tonight's songs. Tonight very short set was as follows, 1. Day Tripper by The Beatles (SFMW85004) 2. Baby Fratelli by The Fratellis (SF253-02) and last but not least 3. Life On Mars by David Bowie (LEG00104)

Day Tripper by The Beatles

First song of the night, and this one is one of mine and Andy's favorites to duet together. We have done this one hundreds of times and we spent ages trying to find the perfect karaoke version. Sometimes its easier to just give up on it but I think that the Sunfly version does have a slightly more rock feel to it than the others so it gets my vote. Now apart from always getting the giggles when we accidentally change the lyrics from "Shes A Big Teaser" to "Shes a ..." work it out for yourself!, this is a damn fine song an great to start a karaoke night off with. A little treat for the rockers amongst you. Click on the title to see an extremely rare version of the song by Whitesnake! do again rating : 5/10

Baby Fratelli by The Fratellis

Now in no way have I sang this tonight to:A. get the Fratellis to the top of the most sang artist league B. Because it sends the wife potty or C. as a kind of gay tribute to Shaun. I sang this purely tonight as this song bloody well rocks. This is my favorite track off the fantastic Costello Music album by the Fratellis. It has that ability to get you to want to stand up and jump around and go potty. It has all the element of a seventies glam rock special and does sound a bit T-Rex, but that is a huge compliment to the lads who wrote the track. Its another song that has a catchy chorus which appears to get everyone singing along and its one of the few songs that if people don't know it they tend to stop chatting and listen to it as if they have to find out who it is by. Loved to sing this one and judging by the response it got on the night, it seemed to go down well in the pub as well. do again rating : 10/10

Life On Mars by David Bowie

Now this song was sang for a very good reason tonight, well two actually. Firstly, it was a request from Tina and Hayley after I sang Bowie the other week, and secondly, as a bit of a tribute to the conclusion of the brilliant BBC drama series Life On Mars starring John Simm and Philip Glenister as Sam Tyler and the fabulous Gene Hunt. The song is also one of my favourites as well and has that fantastic seventies Bowie feel to it. Its been really good over the last couple of weeks to do the requests, but when you get requested to sing a great song like this one then its even more of a thrill. As a treat for all the Life On Mars fans I've added a link for you to see the moment Sam found himself trapped in the seventies, all to the fantastic Life On Mars track by Bowie. do again rating : 9/10




Well there you go gang, and as an extra treat above is the Camberwick Green sequence from the show which sadly will of finished by the time next Thursday comes around, and we will all have our own theories on what happened to Sam. At least we will have next years new series Ashes To Ashes to look forward to, where Gene Hunt plies more of his smooth cop ways this time in the 80's in London bashing those southern softies (apologies to my south of Watford readers :-)lol!!) This week I am going to do my best to learn some more new stuff as I do have lots of songs I have been meaning to sing, and with the Easter break upon us I hope to have got my head around some new tracks by next Thursday. As always Its quote time to end with and what better way to end today's blog than this. See you all soon.


[Ordering the hunt for a murderer]
Gene Hunt:This is my city. And it will be a safe place for my wife and my mum to walk around in. Is that understood?
Detectives: Yes, guv.
Gene Hunt (Sternly): Right. Find out who the dead woman was, find out who killed her. Do it now.
[He checks his watch]
Gene Hunt: Hold up, hold up. Do it tomorrow morning, first thing. (Brightly) Beer o'clock, gentlemen

No comments: