Thursday 7th June 2007

Well it's Thursday and it's good to be back. To be fair a break from the old routine always does you good, and a holiday was just what I needed to re-charge the batteries and get me ready for Download at the weekend! So after the break I have aquired new songs to perform, especially with the new Sunfly disc's being out, and me being me I have a couple of classics to throw into the mix as well.
Tonight had a good crowd in and it showed with how many song's were sung on the night (nearly 30) not bad for a two hour stint. Now after a stretch away, I have got my creative juices flowing, and Captain Jacks T-Shirt Emporium should have some new shirts for you to purchase at very reasonable prices! So keep a look out and get buying.....
Anyway it was realy great to get back after being starved of karaoke for the last two weeks, so keen to impress I had a couple of songs that I knew the wife would love and one especially for Shaunio, which I know he would of loved. Anyway without further distraction on to tonights songs. They were 1.It's Only Rock N' Roll by The Rolling Stones (LEG120-11) 2. Dancing In The Moonlight by Thin Lizzy (SFMW887-04) 3. What I've Done by Linkin Park (SF255-02) and 4. Starman by David Bowie (SFMW841-05).

Its Only Rock N' Roll by The Rolling Stones

Its back to good old fashioned rock and roll (no pun intended) with this one. Its probably better known for being one of the Stones best live tracks nowadays, but my link is to the video recorded for the song when it was released in 1974. It's filmed in a tent that slowly fill's up with bubbles. Mick and Keith look to be enjoying the fun but Charlie and Bill look a bit dumbfounded by the whole thing. This is one of Hayleys favourite Stones tracks so with going to see them soon I will be taking her requests! It was reputedly written as a collabaration by Mick Jagger and Ronnie Wood, the future Stones guitarist, even though it was credited to the usual Jagger/Richards team. The song didn't realy chart well in the U.K., only just making the top ten, and featured David Bowie singing backing on the original recording. Loved to do new Stones songs (well new to me) and this was no exception. on the night rating 7/10

Dancing In The Moonlight by Thin Lizzy

This one was a real treat for me to sing. Thin Lizzy are a real musical influence on my life. Phil Lynott was one of rock's musical genius's, and he is still a big part of influencing many of today's bands, with his talent to rock the stage and live life to full rock and roll excesses being legendary. Phil unfortunately passed away on 4th January 1986 not due to a drug overdose as reported but to pnuemonia, although heroin had taken over his life it was not the drugs that finally took his life. His wild stage image was just that, an image, which as a Rocker he felt he had to live up to, but as is usually the case, this is what got the better of him. His legacy will live on forever as the first Irish Superstar, and he wrote some of the best known rock tracks, such as Don't Believe A Word, Boys Are Back In Town and re-worked a classic Irish love song Whisky In The Jar. It was more of an honour to sing this one than any other song I have sang this year.on the night rating 10/10

What I've Done by Linkin Park

A new track by one of rock's best band's around at the moment. This is a great new song by the band and the year has been topped off with a headline spot at this year's Download Festival at Donington Park. Usually the band has a rap/sing vocal to their songs but this one is just Chester banging out the vocals. It was probably just a matter of time before I did this one, so instead of waiting to be asked I just got on with it and pulled it off with not too much trouble. Can't wait to give you all the review of the band from my Download report next week. And yes, there will be pictures!... on the night rating 10/10

Starman by David Bowie

A great track to end the night off with tonight. Strangely enough this song is another of Hayley's favourites and when I have it on at home, it usually result's in her bouncing around the room like she is possesed! Ah well never mind. It is however a great track, and I have got into my Bowie just lately, probably due to the Life On Mars t.v. show. The song was recorded during Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust" phase and has been atributed to Bowie telling a story of a man from space (Ziggy Stardust) coming to Earth to influence the youth of the time via the radio. It has been said it has many influence's as a song ranging from the second coming of christ to the wizard of oz! And who said David Bowie didn't do drug's!!!!! I was a bit nervous about doing this one as while practicing at home I kept getting it wrong but with a bit of coaching from Hayley I think I managed to pull this one off. on the night rating 7/10

So there you are. After the break I was really keen to get back to the Hotel and I think I kept everyone happy with what I sang this week. I even got asked to give the Sneyd Arms a go on a Friday night, but I don't think I will as it's hard to sing when the fight's break out (little in joke there folks) Anyway as you have't had one for a couple of weeks here is you Homer fix. See you all soon with my Download review..........



"When will you people learn? In America we stopped using corporal punishment and things have never been better. The streets are safe, old people strut confidently trough the darkest alleys and the weak and nerdy are admired for their computer programming abilities. So, like us, let your children run wild and free. Because, as the old saying goes, let your children run wild and free." Homer J Simpson

1 comment:

Hayley said...

Hi i have a request for Thursday night. As you know i am devastated at having to miss Bon Jovi on Sunday so to make it up can you please sing their new song (You Want To) Make a Memory? or any other song by them! please