Thursday 10th May

Well here it is back around again, another helping of Thursday night karaoke fun at the Birches Head Hotel. All seems to be picking back up again as this week, yet again, we were not the only people in the place, and those who were in seemed to leave entertained! Shaun turned up yet again in one of his T-Shirts (available at a very reasonable price from his blog site). So far his sales are doing very well, even though he is the only person to buy them! At least he is paying himself commission!
It turned out to be a full night of songs again with myself and Shaun getting five songs each in for the first time in weeks. This now brings my total to 55 new songs since we started doing the blog, which to be honest has taken me a bit by surprise. I have, in a way, also been laid down a bit of a challenge to see how long I can keep this run of new tracks up for. So just to let you know Shaun, I've got plenty more left in the tank yet me old mucker! We all seem to be coming up with more new songs every week now, and I know from a bit of pillow talk with the wife (and also her constant screeching in the bath!) that they will have even more new stuff in the near future, that is if they can decide on what to sing and then to actually listen to them! lol!
Anyway onto tonight's list of top tracks. 1. Hush by Deep Purple (SC8724-04) 2. Wild World by Cat Stevens (AH8010-01) 3. Hole Hearted by Extreme (SC8917-3) 4. All Over The World by E.L.O. (ZMP088-11) and finally 5. Nightshift by The Commodores (SC8984-04)

Hush by Deep Purple

What a cracking song to start my night off with. Now I do admit that the original version of the track by Deep Purple is not the version that I came to love this song by, it was a later version of the track by Kula Shaker which is a much more rockier version. It is a pretty straightforward track to sing, even though it is quite fast in parts, although you wouldn't guess that from the sixties version! I have linked both versions for you to listen to anyway so you can decide for yourself. on the night rating 6/10

Wild World by Cat Stevens

Another great song that I appear to of pulled from nowhere but yet again I have a good reason for this track. Now as in the previous song this is no way linked to the original version of the track by Cat Stevens, nor the Maxi Preist version or the much more rock orientated version by eighties rock gods Mr Big. No this was in tribute to the fantastic show shown on E4 earlier this year, Skins. Now I know most of you won't of watched the show as it was on E4 and not on the mainstream C4, but if it does get on to mainstream t.v. I urge you to watch the show as it was great fun and gave a great insite into what its like to be young again. Anyway good news is a second series has been commissioned by E4. Included on the header link is the very strange finale to the show where the whole cast join in a voice over version of the song going about their normal routine's which is worth a look in itself. on the night rating 7/10

Hole Hearted by Extreme

Now this is one of my favourite song's by the band Extreme. It is a typical song by the band with strong acoustic overtones, great harmonies and catchy lyrics. Easy to sing and one where people seem to know the song at least if not the band. My overwhelming image of Extreme will always be tainted by the time I went to see Aerosmith headline the Monsters Of Rock Festival at Castle Donington in 1994. Extreme were the main support act to Aerosmith at the time and were touring with them on the European leg of their world tour. The guys unfortunately had to follow Seputura and Pantera on the main stage, and after their set's the sweaties at the front were less than ready for a 10 minute acoustic version of More Than Words, and went on to throw bottle after bottle of urine onto the stage and over most of the crowd. The band promptly left after about 4 songs and strangely their careers seemed to vanish as well! on the night rating 7/10

All Over The World by E.L.O.

Another great track from one of the seventies best bands. This is from the Xanadu soundtrack which starred Olivia Newton John. It yet again shows how good E.L.O. were in their day. Apart from the fact they were great in the day, E.L.O. can be seen now in a whole new way, with probably the best tribute band I have ever seen, The ELO Experience covering all the band's hits in a massive two hour set which gets the crowds jumping. I went to see them at a local venue the other week, and as you can see they sound just like the original band. If you fancy catching the band yourself, click here to go to the bands website and gig guide. on the night rating 5/10

Nightshift by The Commodores

Well to end with tonight this is probably the last song anyone would expect me to sing. It is a classic song that was a tribute to Marvin Gaye and Jackie Wilson who both died in 1984, the year before the song was released, and was the first song released after Lionel Richie's departure from the band. It is an easy song to sing, as most of these classic soul songs are. Yet again listening to Radio Two at work gives me inspiration into what to sing on a Thursday night. on the night rating 8/10

There we are then, another five songs to add to my growing set list. Now as you will notice I have changed my "do again rating" to an "on the night rating". This is to judge how I feel the song went for me on the night, and as I intend on continuing to do new songs the "do again rating" doesn't seem to be worth putting in! This is in no way intended to be me being big headed about my performance, just how the song felt for me to sing and how I feel it was received on the night, and I'm sure people will comment if they feel I am wrong in my self assessment of a song.
Anyway enough for now on to my Simpson tribute for this week and of course the Homer quote to end with. Until next time me old hearties!



"Okay, be nerds. I'll find some people who will know the meaning of the two words 'par' 'te'."
Homer J Simpson

No comments: