Thursday 17th May

Hello again all to yet another dose of Thursday night Karaoke fun at the Birches Head Hotel. This week, like the last few weeks, proved again to be a busy old night, and with Andy being away on his hol's next Thursday and myself and the wife away the week after on ours, this was the last night we would be all together for a couple of weeks so as usual the beer flowed in its usual fashion, with plenty drank and plenty of songs sang.
As this is the official start to the gig season I have updates on the next few weeks gigs that I will be going. So starting in date order here we go.

  • Magnum 24th May Wulfrun Hall Wolverhampton: Yes the wife finally got tickets and with Andy being off next week this gig has come at just the right time to see the pomp rock masters again. Support on the night is from a band called UXL who sound quite good and seem to be very young.
  • Download Festival 2007 9th June Donington Park: Now this little beauty has fell on my lap quite nicely. As it is a weekender time for day pass tickets is strictly limited so it was a nice surprise to find them available from Saturday 19th May. It was decided with a bit of debate that the Saturday gig seemed the best one of the three with Linkin Park headlining supported by such rock gods as Marilyn Manson, Motley Crue, Slayer and Machine Head plus some great sounding new bands such as Biffy Clyro, 30 Seconds To Mars, Satellite Party and the fantastically named Lez Zeppelin.
  • Aerosmith 24th June Hyde Park,London: Affectionately now known as Hyde Park Calling the best American rock band hit London and the U.K. for the first time since 1999, and the Toxic Twin Towers Ball at Wembley Stadium. Three stages and some great other bands on including Chris Cornell, Jet, Joe Satriani, Yourcodenameis:Milo and The Answer, who are also on at Download this year.
  • Rolling Stones 21st August O2 Arena,London: Still no news on the support for this one but who cares its the Stones and whoever is on with them lets face it they won't be a patch on the guys. Rumours on the web seem to think that Van Morrison may be on some of the European dates but nothing confirmed yet for the London shows.
  • Status Quo 27th August Trentham Gardens, Staffs: Well the date and venue has been decided, but the timing could of been better. If I'm not away on holiday for my 1st wedding anniversary, then I would love to go to see the Quo at a local venue but its really up to the wife!. It would make a lovely birthday present though!
  • Bon Jovi 24th June O2 Arena,London: Well the timing of their only U.K. date is almost as bad as the Quo date. It just happens to be on the same night as Aerosmith at Hyde Park. Now the rumours on the web were the boys were adding an extra gig on the 23rd but it seems that seeing as the tickets have not gone on sale that this is not happening. But on the bright side they did hint on American Idol, that they would be playing the U.K. in January 2008.

So that's it for the summer season of gigs and there are a few bands I am really looking forward to seeing at the festivals who have wetted my musical appetite. Anyway on to tonight's little ditty's. They were 1. Turn To Stone by E.L.O. (SFMW879-11) 2. Girls Talk by Dave Edmunds (ZMP086-10) 3. Hysteria by Def Leppard (SC8716-03) and 4. I Don't Wanna Talk About It by Rod Stewart (ZMP099-06)

Turn To Stone by E.L.O.

Another seventies classic from the brummie boys E.L.O. Yet again they came up with track after track of class music and this is no different, in fact this is one of their best. It was the first track taken from the outstanding Out Of The Blue album in 1977 and was recently used in an episode of Doctor Who (Love and Monsters) along with Mr Blue Sky and Don't Bring Me Down. Pretty easy to sing although the rather fast end bit I let the backing track do for me as it was my first track of the night. These are one of my favourite bands to sing at the moment and I do feel a little nostalgic every time I sing one of their songs.on the night rating 6/10

Girls Talk by Dave Edmunds

A song that I have wanted to do for absolutely ages. This is another late seventies classic and is probably Dave Edmund most famous hit, along with I Hear You Knocking. The song was written by Elvis Costello and reached No 4 in the charts in 1979. Its got a very catchy chorus and is pretty easy to belt out. Loved finally having a go at this one and, although Shaun had never heard it before, it seemed to be recognised by pretty much everyone in the pub,even Hayley! on the night rating 8/10

Hysteria by Def Leppard

One of the great British rock bands at their finest here with the brilliant track Hysteria. One of the best songs, and the title track off the bands huge album from 1987. Included on the link is the fantastic live "in the round" performance of this track recorded at Sheffield's Don Valley Stadium. The band were one of the first to do the in the round gigs in the U.K. which bought a new element to the live experience, although it was pretty standard for rock bands to play like this in the States. It was this album which catapulted the band into super stardom around the world. Easy to sing and this Sound Choice version is one of the best versions around. It was also requested that I do another Def Lep track on the night by Tina so this one was for her. on the night rating 9/10

I Don't Wanna Talk About It by Rod Stewart

Another song that I have wanted to do for ages. Rod has, over the years brought out some great songs, and this is one of my favourites. It has been covered by loads of artists ranging from Rita Coolidge, Dina Carroll and most famously Everything But The Girl. Its a great ballad and although it originally for a male vocal, it seems to be just as easily sang by a female. This one was requested by Hayley earlier in the night when I couldn't decide on which Rod song to sing. on the night rating 8/10

So there you go another batch of great songs I'm sure you will agree. I really feel that all the songs felt great tonight, and I think my choices are getting better every week. Now we have got a couple of weeks off now due to holidays, so I will use the time to find a few more new tracks to do in the spare time. Of course though, next week is the first gig in the Summer 07 music tour with Magnum at Wulfrun Hall in Wolverhampton. Its another new venue for me so I'm looking forward to the night. So next weeks blog will be a gig review instead of karaoke review, and if I get the camera in I will have some photos. So until next time me old hearties see ya soon!





"To shake your booty means to wiggle one's butt. Permit me to demonstrate."
Homer J Simpson

No comments: