Thursday 23rd August 2007




Well me old hearties its time for the old Captain to take another short break. I'm off to my old pirate stomping ground in Newquay for a weeks rest and recuperation from the excitement of The Rolling Stones at the O2 Arena {Excellent} and the England Vs Germany game the day after at Wembley {Great ground rubbish result/manager/team/weather/Germans}. So I thought I'd leave you all with a Polaroid of myself so you don't miss me to much, and if you feel really low at my departure here a little something to make yourself an honorary pirate in my crew!



So for those of you who are regular readers you will know that the poll for best song of the year has climaxed and is now over and done with until the next one! So tonight was all about the song of the year and they were sang in top three reverse order, with a new Stones track to end the night with and an absolute classic it is too. So for tonight offering's we had the following. Bring It On Home by Sam Cooke, Life On Mars by David Bowie and What I've Done by Linkin Park, and to end with my Rolling Stones classic new track for the night was Paint It Black.

Bring It On Home by Sam Cooke link to video

Third in the poll came this little ditty by Sam Cooke that I sang on 22nd March. It was Hayley's favourite of the year and sneaked into third place after she enlisted the help of her mum to add to the voting. It came close to Def Leppard in the early running, but unfortunately tailed off towards the end. Great song and I really like the Rod Stewart cover version, which was my inspiration to sing it back in March. on the night rating 9/10

Life On Mars by David Bowie link to video

Second song in the poll and runner up goes to the classic Life On Mars. I sang this one for the first time this year on 5th April. The night I sang it was the week the brilliant Life On Mars BBCtv show finished with Sam Tyler and Co. Well the good news is that Gene Hunt will not disappear from our screens, but he is to reappear in a new 80's version of the show called Ashes To Ashes and I have linked here to the BBC press release for you to peruse. Of course this will mean that I will now have to learn Ashes To Ashes by Bowie to sing when this show comes out. on the night rating 10/10

What I've Done by Linkin Park link to video

And the winner is............Linkin Park with What I've Done. Rumours of poll fixing are bound to come out in these uncertain days we live in. Well Captain Jack does not condone such trickery, if I did then at least one of the Stone's tracks would of made the top three! But it has been a great year for me singing Linkin Park tracks, and with seeing the band this year headline the Donnington Festival with such success, I do feel it is a fitting winning song. Now I do know it was not everyones favourite to win {Tina I will sing you Lets Get Rocked on my Karaoke return as your birthday gift from me, and Hayley booing the winning song is just bad sport old dear! Your sleeping in the box from now on} So this song was first sang by me on 7th June just two days before the gig at Donnington. I have now sang it three time this year, and I have now sang 5 different Linkin Park songs. All in all I didn't mind this one won, and it was the best song on the list. on the night rating 10/10

Paint It Black by The Rolling Stones link to video

Well what better way to end the night than with a probably addition to the best song of the second six months of the year. After seeing the boys at the O2 on Tuesday, and seeing Keith play the intro to the song so beautifully, it wasn't a tough choice to sing this classic, and I had to get some Stones in tonight! The song was recorded by The Rolling Stones in 1966, and it reached number one in both the U.S. and the UK charts. The song was credited to Mick Jagger and Keith Richards although all of the band embers contributed substantially to it, especially Bill Wyman, and Brian Jones. Jagger and Richards original conception of the song was that of a slow soul song from the viewpoint of a person who is depressed. He wants everything to turn black to match his mood. The song began with Wyman playing organ at a recording session, in parody of the group's former co-manager Eric Easton, who had been an organist. Charlie Watts accompanied the organ by playing a vaguely Middle Eastern drum part; Watts' drum pattern became the basis for the final song. Brian Jones contributed the song's signature sitar riff, having taught himself to play, and Jagger contributed a lyric seemingly about a man mourning his dead girlfriend. In recent years, the song has become associated with the Vietnam War due to its use in the ending credits of Full Metal Jacket and the opening credits of Tour of Duty.The pilot of Nip/Tuck TV show also uses the Rolling Stone's version of the song. It is also probably the most covered song by the Stones, with around 84 different acts putting their take on the song from such diverse artists as Metallica to Hayseed Dixie and from R.E.M to Blondie. A brilliant classic song fro the greatest Rock and Roll Band In The World. on the night rating 11/10

So short and sweet from me this week folks as I have far too much to do before I set off on my long trek around the Dead Man's Chest on the Black Pearl looking for the Worlds End, well Newquay in a Ford Focus and visiting Lands End more likely. Until next time folks bye bye!!!!!!!

"Marge: Homer, When are you going to give up on this crazy sugar scheme?Homer: Never, Marge. Never. I can't live the button-down life like you. I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, I might offend a few of the bluenoses with my cocky stride and musky odors -- oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Homer Simpson?"

Homer J Simpson

2 comments:

Captain Jack said...

This Is Just A Test To See If I Can Remeber How To Do This

Captain Jack said...

Now I Can Do Im Changing My Pic