Thursday 9th August 2007




When you have a Karaoke night and no one else will sing who ya gonna call in to fill your night with fun................................................















Well something like that anyway! It was well dead tonight! If not for myself and trusty Superhero sidekick Shaun tonight's Karaoke would of been a bit of a damp squib. Where all the people have gone is a mystery. It must be that loads are away on holiday as even the outside of the pub was bereft of the usual smokers huddled under the umbrella's. So it was left to myself and Shaun, with notable contributions from Hayley and Tina, to fill in tonight. Me and Shaun got seven songs each in tonight and the girls popped in with four or five as well.
The night didn't start well at all either as I still haven't got the hang of taking my songs down on my memory stick, so at least four of my original selections for tonight didn't get done as I ballsed up again. Still I will continue until I get it right, but I am a pirate for gods sake and these computer thingies are all new to me me old hearties......
So it was left to us to entertain each other in front of the lowest turn out for a while. The smell that lingered from the ladies loo last week has appeared to of gone, so whether people were put off by that I'm not sure. Resident bad singer Nicky was a no show again, probably hiding in disgrace after her walk off the week before! But the night did provide one lighter moment. My colleague from work (that's the real job not the pirating) Dave, who has been promising to come down for three years now on a Thursday, made his first appearance with his lovely lady Lorraine. I think his turn out was more due to her than him, and I'm sure he will be back to see us all in 2011!
So while messing around again this week I found a couple of cool thing to put up on here for you. Firstly here is 'My Band Name Generator'. You just pop in your name and up pops a random band name for you. I think mine says it all....





Your Band Name is:



The Astro Wizards





Next up is my 80's theme song. Again you just pop in your favourite song of the moment and it generates you most likely favourite 80's classic. Now you probably wont believe my outcome but I was very pleased with it myself..........






Your 80s Theme Song Is:



Love In An Elevator by Aerosmith





What a result! No complaints there then ho hum.. And finally this week here are a couple of guys from who knows where but their routine is very, very funny. Just stick with it it get better towards the end....




So onto tonight's song list. Seven crackers for you tonight. 1. Start Me Up by The Rolling Stones 2. Folding Stars by Biffy Clyro 3. Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran 4. Thank You For loving Me by Bon Jovi 5. I'd Wait For Life by Take That 6. Given Up by Linkin Park and last but not least 7. The Air That I Breathe by The Hollies. Phew.. well here we go then on the run down.


Start Me Up by The Rolling Stones link


Well I suppose there is only one way to describe this song by the greatest Rock and Roll band in the World, phenomenal. From the first riff to the 'yeah yeah yeah woo's' at the end this is a triumph of a song. The song starts with a trademark Keith Richards riff, which has made the song one of the most recognisable intros in musical history. It was released in 1981 and significantly it is the last song that the Stones have had in the U.K. Top Ten singles chart reaching number seven. The lyrics are a bawdy bunch of sexual innuendo from Jagger such as " I've been running hot; You got me ticking gonna blow my top; If you start me up, If you start me up I'll never stop." and " Ride like the wind at double speed; I'll take you places that you've never, never seen." The song is one of the firm favorites of the band on the live sets, and it is very rare if you don't see the boys playing this one. As usual I love to sing the Stones tracks and this one was no exception. on the night rating 8/10


Folding Stars by Biffy Clyro link
Not much to say about this one that I haven't said already. Still think its one of the best songs around at the moment. Will probably keep doing it until Andy likes it, which will probably be never! So anti Biffy Clyro! Still Shaun and Hayley love it, although Hayley has requested that I sing Living Is A Problem again. On a lighter note I went to a footie match with my Dad in the week, and Biffy Clyro are not his favourite band, as he refers to them as ' Just Noise '. Well I had the whole album on in the car on the ride home and he never complained once, I even left him in the car alone for a few minutes with the album on, and not once did he say 'this is that Biffy whathisname rubbish' so I take it from that he liked what he heard. Slowly but surely we convert the non-believers! Mon The Biffy! on the night rating 8/10


Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran link
Hungry Like the Wolf was Duran Duran's second Top 5 hit in the UK and was their breakout hit in the US. It was their fifth single, released off their 1982 album, Rio, and has become one of the band's signature songs. Its popularity was boosted by MTV which played the accompanying music video in heavy rotation. In 2006, online voters rated Hungry Like the Wolf number 3 on VH1's list of "The 100 Greatest Songs of the '80s" behind Bon Jovi's Livin' On A Prayer at number 1 and Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar on Me at number 2. It is one of the best songs by Duran Duran, but I always find that it is not one of their most well know tracks, usually preferred to such songs as 'The Reflex', 'Rio' and 'Save A Prayer'. I think its a shame as it shows just how advanced Duran Duran were at the time it was released, as a lot of the techniques used on recording the track were used for the first time on this single. As with a lot of the early Duran Duran song's it is very catchy and has great synth effects on it. It's also pretty easy to sing as well. Another 80's classic I enjoyed immensely. on the night rating 9/10


Thank You For Loving Me by Bon Jovi link
A special song all round now. This is officially the 100th song I have sang this year, so to mark the occasion properly I chose a song for the wife. This was the song that we had our first dance too on our wedding day. Everyone say Ahhh...... Now pass the buckets round. It was released in 2000 from the bands seventh studio album Crush. Not one of the bands best albums, but notable for some of the bands best work since Slippery When Wet in 1987. The album spawned 5 singles including 'Say It Isn't So' and most famously 'Its My life' which reintroduced Richie Samboras love of the reverb mouth piece mike first used on ' Living On A Prayer'. Then of course the band released their usual ballad from the album, and this track soon became a favourite to all the Bon Jovi fans. Written by Jon Bon Jovi as a tribute to his wife, thanking her for loving him despite his strange ways, it is an appropriate 'our tune' for me and Hayley, as she also has a lot to put up with me too. Love Ya Babe this one was for you....... on the night rating 10/10


I'd Wait For Life by Take That link
Song number five of the night and another ballad. I sang the Easy Hit version earlier in the year, which is not bad, but this Mr Entertainer version is much better. This is the third single by Take That since the band reformed, and personally it's my favourite. I was told by Dave that this was my best song of the night, but I'm sure Hayley would disagree about that. Rumours are mounting that the Robster, Mr Williams is to join the lads on their U.K. tour later in the year, which would probably mean the exclusion of some of these newer tracks he didn't record with the band. I hope not. Much as I love Robbie, he should not let his ego prevent the great songs from the lads new album be played live. Anyway he probably won't perform again with them live. Great song, by a once again great band. on the night rating 9/10


Given Up by Linkin Park link
Now by the time I had got round to song six the pub was now empty, I had sang all the songs I had put in for the night, and it was a case of 'do I or don't I' for this one. Shaun gave me a nudge in the right direction. Its a belter of a track of the latest Linkin Park album 'Minutes To Midnight' and one of the best album openers ever. Great kicking guitar riff throughout, and belting lyrics by Chester Bennington. Amazingly this track is the first to use a swear on a recording, which funnily enough Mike kind of takes the piss out of in one of the other tracks on the album 'Bleed It Out'. It also has Chester screaming for approximately 17 seconds at full pelt, a feat that I take my hat off to, as I only managed about 6 at half pelt! This is definitely one of the heaviest song the band has ever released, and was probably one of the main reasons they headlined Download earlier in the year. Enjoyed it, but not one I will probably be doing again in the near future, unless.........on the night rating 6/10


The Air That I Breathe by The Hollies link
Last but not least and one of the best duet's that me and Andy sing together. The Air That I Breathe is a song written by Albert Hammond and Mike Hazelwood, initially recorded by Phil Everly of the famed Everly Brothers. It is best remembered as having been a major hit for The Hollies in 1974, reaching No. 2 in the UK charts. The song has been used in several different advertising campaigns in the past, and has been covered by such diverse artists as Julio Iglesias and Simply Red. Its pretty easy to sing, but its done best as a duet, as you really need two voices to capture the brilliant harmonies in the vocals. Amazingly this is the first time we have sang it this year, and it probably won't be the last. on the night rating 8/10


So there we are folks, another bunch of belters. Don't forget to cast your beady eye's on the links to each song as sometimes they contain some treats, and of course keep on voting on the song of the year vote. Its getting a close run thing now so get your votes in while you still can. Until next time....... Bye Bye!!


"Homer:
Look, all I'm saying is, if these big stars didn't want people going through their garbage and saying they're gay, then they shouldn't have tried to express themselves creatively."
Homer J Simpson

No comments: