Thursday August 2nd 2007


Ahoy there matey's. Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of Magners (I don't like Rum!). Well the weeks are passing by quicker and quicker. Its only a few weeks until my second trip on holiday, and voting ends on the best song of the year so far on August 22nd with a close run end to the vote. It has now been decided by the adjudicating committee (well the wife) that it will now be the top three songs that will be sang on the night of 23rd August, along with, time permitting, my choice of song for which I would of wanted to win. Of course if the song I want to win wins then it will be another one that I didn't want to really win but sing and pretend that it is he one I wanted to win I the first place therefore making my choice null and void and making my whole choice wrong.....hang on does that make sense to anyone!...... Anyway so far on the voting the scores on the doors so far are as follows:
  1. Linkin Park - What I've Done with 75 Votes
  2. Sam Cooke - Bring It On Home with 66 Votes
  3. Def Leppard - Lets Get Rocked with 59 Votes
  4. David Bowie - Life On Mars with 49 Votes
  5. Rolling Stones - Angie with 40 Votes

The early leaders Def Leppard have now slipped to third place with the mighty Linkin Park taking the lead. Sneaking in is Sam Cooke, but I'm sure the wife has something to do with that! Anyway thanks to all who have voted so far, and if you want your favourite to win don't forget to vote again while you still have the chance to change the final standing's.

Now with the approach of the new football season (thank God) and with last weeks funny videos I have again found you all a hilarious YouTube video to look at. It shows the now YouTube famous gay referee. Now I don't know if he is or not but from his video.....well judge for yourself.



Don't say I didn't warn you, but I can guarantee if he is gay and he ref's in the U.K. I can bet his first game will be up the Vale as we get all the shit ref's up there all season long. Now the next clip is one you will all know. Everyone will of seen over the last few month's this fabulous advert for Sony.




Well it may be fantastic but I bet nobody thought of the consequences left behind for the residents of the tower blocks. Check out this news report:




Oh the joys of YouTube....... No animals were harmed during the filming of this spoof....

So with all that fun over with back onto the serious stuff now and this week karaoke. Tonight was for once full of singers. So yet again we were sat on the sidelines waiting for our turn to sing. It was quite a good bunch of singers in though again, with resident 'extremely louder than life singer' Chill entertaining us all, and a walk off by resident warbler Nicky for apparently no reason whatsoever. One time regular Mick again turned up to sing his two song repertoire, but his attempt to empty the place by singing Rammstein's Du Hast failed and we all had to suffer Billy Idol as well! Never mind that's his visit for this year over with again! Only joking, good to see the 'Old' faces turning back up again. And the now apparently sleeping resident singer was back in again. Seriously folks this guy nods off until its his turn to sing. You wouldn't mind but he only drinks coke!
So in the end I only managed to get three tracks in again this week but one of them is a 'world premier' thanks to karaoke king Shaun, who the wife says if he can put together my Bon Jovi instrumental versions onto Karaoke he will get a special treat (It's probably a beer Shaun m8 but I will try for ten minutes in the back of the car!)
Anyway on to tonight's songs. Tonight I sang 1. Rio by Duran Duran 2. Folding Stars by Biffy Clyro {WORLD PREMIER}and 3. Faint by Linkin Park.


Rio by Duran Duran link

Another dose of 80's nostalgia from Duran Duran this week. I recently got hold of a few of these brilliant Sound Choice versions of the Duran Duran classics and they sound fantastic. The song has one of the bands most recognisable riffs and also one of the best video's the band did. The video was shot in Antigua in the Caribbean, and Nick Rhodes was reportedly dreadfully seasick during the filming, and has often said "I hate boats unless they're tied up and you're having cocktails on them." There have been many remixes of the song and it was huge on the U.S. Billboard charts at the time, although the song only got to number 9 in the U.K. charts. It is a great song to sing and one I have really enjoyed to do. on the night rating 8/10





*World Premier* Folding Stars by Biffy Clyro

So why I hear you ask does a Karaoke track by a relatively unknown band deserve the above fanfare to introduce it. Well by all intense and purpose this truly is the first time this will of been performed on karaoke by anyone in the world, but unless as my learned friend Shaun put it 'Unless there is anyone out there as sad as us' . The Biffy Clyro lads have had a bit of a rough ride at the Hotel over the past few weeks, so it was great to hear them getting a bit of praise for their 'Foo Fighter like new song' Folding Stars. This is a great song by the band from Scotland, and if you ever thought they were 'Just Noise' this would be the song that should change your mind. It does sound like this is a song that shows all the bands influences in it, with Foo Fighter style riffs, R.E.M. like lyrics, Queen like harmonies and a Stones like hook. It was great to think that maybe, just maybe this would be the first time it has ever been sang on karaoke. Anyway no link to this one it gets the full video treatment.........enjoy! on the night rating 10/10





Faint by Linkin Park link



Final song of the night for both me and Shaun, as this was a duet with my Linkin Park buddy. A belter of a track, if not a little difficult to get to grips with after copious amounts of alcohol. Having said that, we did appear to have a Linkin Park fan club of three girls, who went potty all during the song, so it must of sounded alright at the back. Personally I would like another crack at it, and I'm pretty sure Shaun would too. Maybe the next time these ladies appear we could have a Linkin Park night (Nudge Nudge Wink Wink!) It is one of the bands best live tracks, and a firm favourite of rapper Mike, because he says the audience gets to recreate the music video. During the Minutes to Midnight-era, "Faint" has been extended when played live. It has also replaced "One Step Closer" as the final song played during concerts. It was the last track at Download earlier in the year, and ended the day off perfectly, and also our night tonight. on the night rating 10/10


So yet again this week's blog has come to a close. I know I promised a Simpson's movie review, but unfortunately time caught up with me this week so I will attempt to get it in before next weeks karaoke blog. It was a good night for song's this week, and it appears that the Smoking Ban in pubs is bringing new singers into the pub. Now if they come to hear us sing that's fine, but for them to keep coming in and singing and stopping us from doing as many, then Bring Back Smoking I say...... Only joking, it's great to finally get some newbies up and singing. So to end with this week here is another word of wisdom from the master of understatement himself. Until next time folks............


"Marge: Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday.
Homer: Woo-hoo. Four-day weekend. "
Homer J Simpson

3 comments:

Shaun said...

Is that 10 minutes with you in the car! I'll take the beer thanks :p

Get the instrumentals to me and I'll make it happen ;)

Captain Jack said...

I did mean the wife but if you would prefer 10 minutes alone with me then I'm sure she wouldn't mind. Now how do you put your little guy on these messages!!!!

Shaun said...

It's my profile picture.

You will need to make your profile public which it currently isn't (doesn't really mean anything).

I got the piccy from http://www.sp-studio.de/ which has a cool South Park character generator :)