Thursday 15th February

After last Thursday's very quiet night I was expecting a few more people out this week,especially following Valentine's Day yesterday, a few last minute arranged night's out to quell the backlash of wives and partner's not getting what they wanted the day before,but this week was even quieter than last week. Never mind it gives us more of a chance to try out new stuff with not many people to embarrass ourselves in front of!!

My song's this week were as follows 1. Fight For Ourselves by Spandau Ballet (SFG0313) 2. Honky Tonk Women by The Rolling Stones (LG01444) 3. Living On The Edge by Aerosmith (SC8710-01) 4. Patience by Take That (EKI01-01) 5. S.O.S. by ABBA (SFAB0110)



Fight For Ourselves by Spandau Ballet

An old favourite of mine from age's ago. Spandau Ballet are one of the few band's whose song's seem to translate to karaoke very easily. This was an album track from towards the end of their spell at the top and surprisingly is not one of their most well know track's which is a shame as it is a belter!

Honky Tonk Women by The Rolling Stones

One of the most recognisable guitar riffs ever from probably the best band in the world. This track rocks from start to finish and anyone who disagrees is wrong. Again the Stones are a band who's music is easy to sing too. Argument's have ensued in the past at the hotel about the Stone's logo being the most recognisable brand logo ever so for those of you who don't know it here it is......

Living On The Edge by Aerosmith

This is one of the many track's by Aerosmith i've always wanted to try but never have before. Steve Tyler, the lead singer of Aerosmith has got quite a high voice so you find yourself slipping into singing it his way every so often which can result in sounding a bit naff, but I seemed to get through without too much of a problem tonight. Only downside is that it tail's off at the end with some do doo da da's which i'm never comfortable singing, as I always seem to get caught in do doo!!!!

Patience by Take That

This track won best single last night at The Brits marking a remarkable come back for the band in the last year,and I sang this tonight as a bit of a tribute. As the campaign for Brit Rock ensues I have to admit I was a bit of a closet Take That fan in the day and to be fair this is probably now my favourite Take That track. The fact that most of their song's are instantly known does help and of course it helps when all around you know the song. It is great to look out into the audience and see everyone singing a long with you and this is one of those song's.

S.O.S by Abba

Yes i sang an Abba song! I know I know me the rock fanatic singing Abba!! But too make a case for my defence I sang this as Ben Mills sang it on The X-Factor on Abba week and as I have been flicking through my stuff at home I found the Abba track I thought Ben should of sung on the show but didn't which was Lay All Your Love On Me, but Andy hasn't got it in the book so I had to sing S.O.S. instead (maybe they didn't have the music on the X-Factor too!) Surprisingly though I pulled off probably my song of the night. It is quite easy when you get into it and I probably will have a go again, but I will take Lay All Your Love down and maybe do a comparison.



As again it was a quiet night I managed too get a few song's in as you can see,and this is good as these week's help to build your repertoire and it doesn't matter if you make a boo boo as their is no-one in to hear! I'm sure that it will pick up in the next few week's so I will endeavour to make the most of these practice week's!! One final mention to a couple of other people's song's tonight. Shaun did a great version of The Circus by Erasure and Tina and Hayley sang Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics which was brill.

1 comment:

Shaun said...

I've not seen that logo before :p

And there was me thinking that the Abba song was completely off the cuff, fair play to doing it though! Loved having a go at The Circus so very glad that you talked me into it.

Props to the girls too with their two new songs (Sweet Dreams and Smile), both of which they should do again :)